am a DONA certified birth and postpartum doula.
I have the privilege of providing nurturing and compassionate support
to women and their families in Bucks
and Montgomery counties
and surrounding communities.
Pregnancy, childbirth and new parenthood are profound life experiences that deserve unconditional support, compassion, reverence and respect.
My mission is to help a woman and her partner
achieve the most gratifying and empowering birth and postpartum experience possible, encouraging the best start for mother and baby,
and their new family as a whole.
Thank you for considering me as your doula.
I am very honored.
What is a doula?
The word doula comes from the ancient Greek meaning"woman caregiver".
A birth doula is a trained and experienced labor companion who provides a woman and her partner continuous emotional support, physical comfort and assistance in obtaining the knowledge necessary
to make informed decisions before, during and just after childbirth.
A postpartum doula provides nurturing support, guidance and care to a family with a newborn.
Why use a doula?
Women have very complex physical and emotional needs during childbirth and the weeks that follow.
In addition to medical care and the love provided by their partners, women also need
consistent, continuous reassurance, comfort, encouragement and respect.
They need individualized care based on their circumstances and preferences.
A doula provides this care in a sensitive, nurturing and non-judgmental way.
Numerous clinical studies have found that a doula's presence at birth:
- tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
- reduces the mother's request for pain medications and/or epidurals
- reduces the need for Pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum
extractions and the incidence of cesareans
- reduces negative feelings about one's childbirth experience
Research shows that parents who receive support in the postpartum period:
- feel more secure and cared for
- are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
- have greater success with breastfeeding
- have greater self-confidence
- have less incidence of postpartum emotional challenges
While doulas are considered a relatively new addition to the maternity care team,
they are actually recreating an age old tradition as guardians for growing families.
Barbara Heid ~ Birth and Postpartum Doula Services